South Lawin cor Baguio Road, Philam Homes Quezon City, Philippines
When Philam Homes Subd started receiving residents in 1955, it was initially placed under the San Pedro Bautista Parish in San Francisco Del Monte. The first community mass was celebrated by Rev. Fr. Roberto Manguiat, on a makeshift altar under a Mango tree on a vacant lot at 26 East Maya Drive on May 15, 1955. Today, a commemorative marker stands at the exact spot where the first mass was held at Philam Homes.
Through the efforts of the residents at Philam Homes and His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, then Archbishop of Manila, the actual construction of the church finally began on January 1956, designed by Architect Arturo Mañalac. This was located at the center of the community on a 2,000 sq.m lot donated by the developer, the Philamlife Insurance Company. Sta. Rita de Cascia parish was canonically established by Cardinal Santos on May 31, 1957 becoming territorially independent of its mother parish, the San Pedro Bautista parish in San Francisco Del Monte. Sta. Rita Parish became the largest parish then under the Archdiocese of Manila having jurisdiction over:
The actual church building was inaugurated on June 2, 1957 also by His Excellency, Rufino J. Santos, Archbishop of Manila. On July 1957, Rev. Fr. Amador Cruz was replaced by Msgr. Justino Ortiz, who remained in charge of Sta. Rita Parish until the first parish priest, Rev. Fr. Pedro N. BANTIGUE (later on appointed to Right Revered Msgr.), was appointed and took over on May 1960. From then on, there has been 9 other parish priests who served at Sta. Rita de Cascia, namely Rev. Fr. Alfredo REYES (later appointed as Right Reverend Msgr.), Msgr. Ceferino SANCHEZ, Msgr. Jose “Chito” BERNARDO, Jr., Msgr. Mylo VERGARA, Rev. Fr. Emmanuel SUAREZ, Rev. Fr. Ramon ELORIAGA, Msgr. Domingo ERFE, Msgr. Daniel STA. MARIA and, currently, Rev. Fr. Alfredo “Jun” PASCUAL, Jr.
During the term of Msgr. Dan Sta. Maria, Sta. Rita Parish handled the masses at St. Michael the Archangel in Trinoma, Mary Mother of Hope Chapel in Landmark and at Vertis North, becoming the only church in the now Diocese of Cubao to hold mall masses.