On February 27, 1990 then Archbishop of Manila, His Eminence Jaime Cardina L. Sin(+). Gifted the community of Barangay Bungad by elevating our community chapel to a parish. Thirty-one years later, let us look back with hearts full of thanksgiving on all the blessings that was given to us as a parish.
Milestones and People to remember….
- 1970’s: Masses were celebrated at Saleng St with a makeshift altar and the image of Señor Santo Cristo originally owned by Ms. Benancia Beltran, mother of Mrs. Hilaria F. Villegas. The late Msgr. Arturo Mendiola, then parish Priest of Christ the King Parish encouraged the residents of Bgy. Bungad to build their own chapel.
- 1977: Mr and Mrs. Timoteo Natividad sold one hundred square meter (100 sqm) of their property and donated additional ten (10) square meters as well through the late Julita Gatchalian, Matias Santos and Hilaria Villegas which is to be the chapel site at #144 M.H. del Pilar St.
- 1979: A Deed of Donation and a Deed of Sale were executed in favor of the Donee – Archdiocese of Manila thru Paulino (deceased) as representative of the Roman Catholic Church of the Philippines, Mr. and Mrs. Timoteo Natividad as the principal donors and the Bungad Catholic Family Association was represented by then over-all chairman Mr. Evaristo R. Vasquez Sr.
- April 20, 1985: A ground-breaking ceremony was held with then Quezon City Mayor Adelina Rodriguez as one of the guests. Through the suggestion of Mayor Rodriguez during the ground-breaking ceremony, Mrs. Consuelo Tenebro Then Barangay Captain of Bungad was entrusted to sell One Hundred (100 sqm) square meters of the Bgy. Bungad government lot along 11 Sanchez St. to the Archdiocese of Manila thru Most. Rev. Teodoro Buhain, as representative. The said lot is now the site of the altar and Sacristy and residential quarters for the priest.
- August 23, 1989: The chapel was inaugurated with no less than the late Archbishop of Manila, His Eminence Jaime L. Sin officiating the celebration.
- February 27, 1990: The Santo Cristo Chapel was elevated to a parish by his Eminence Jaime Cardinal L. Sin and appointed the late Rev. Fr. Benedicto Santos as our first parish priest.