Plaza Sta. Inez, Krus Na Ligas, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
The Holy Cross Parish belongs to the Vicariate of St. Joseph that was transferred to QC South District in March 2002. With the Canonical Establishment of the Diocese of Cubao on June 28, 2003, the southern district is now under the prelature of Most Rev. Honesto F. Ongtioco, D. D. – appointed as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Cubao in liturgical rites at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on 28 August 2003.
The Holy Cross Parish Church, itself a historical place of worship first put up around the year 1800, saw through more than a hundred years of vigor and activity. It was finally expanded and renovated in 1997. Today, the parish sits up on an equally historical spot – the heart of Krus Na Ligas.
Krus Na Ligas once served as a shelter for Philippine hero Andres bonifacio who sought refuge from the 1896 Balintawak mayhem. With Balara, it eventually became the Katipunan headquarters. Krus Na Ligas thus became a site of struggle towards national independence and freedom from colonial arrests. How it got its name maybe ascribed to the crossed-branch poison ivies (ligas tree) that thrived in this chapel’s location.