Shrine Vice Rector
Christ the King Mission Seminary
101 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Kristong Hari, Quezon City.
In 1933, the Christ the King Mission Seminary was built along the España Boulevard Extension (now the E. Rodriguez Sr. Boulevard). The seminary was established by the missionaries of the Society of the Divine Word or SVD, who had first arrived in the Philippines in 1909.
The shrine is within the compound of the Christ the King Mission Seminary in Quezon City. The Christ the King Mission Seminary is a Roman Catholic seminary in Quezon City, Philippines run by the Divine Word Missionaries, more popularly known as the “Society of the Divine Word” (SVD). (From, the free encyclopedia) The Shrine of Jesus, The Divine Word was constructed in 1965.
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE SHRINE OF THE DIVINE WORD (By Fr. Atilano Corcuera, SVD)
In the 2005 provincial Chapter resolution was approved, namely “TO MANDATE THE PROVINCIALATE TO TAKE STEPS FOR THE ERECTION OF CKMS CHAPEL AS A SHRINE OR PARISH.
The first step that the provincialate took was to appoint an administrator of the CKMS chapel to prepare the groundwork for its moving to become a shrine. During lent in 2005 Fr. Dante Venus was the first to take this position. But due to unforeseen events Venus could not continue, and so on May 2005 Fr, Alfredo Sabado was appointed as the 2nd Administrator of the proposed shrine – with one-year tenure. He was considered fit for the position since he was the coordinator of for the JPIC and one of the implementors of new ministries.
Some of the objectives of the Shrine project were:
The Shrine administrator was supervised, supported and closely guided by the parish priest of Sacred Heart, Fr. Manuel Bongayan to whose parish the proposed shrine belongs. He also acted as liason with the local ordinary, being at the same time the episcopal vicar for religious in the diocese.
The SHP of Kamuning helped mobilize its three mini-parishes around CKMS to support the project. These mini-parishes and the existing lay organizations based at the CKMS formed the mass base and moving power of the shrine.
A pastoral team of priests was formed to assist Fr. Sabado. The first batch was composed of Fr. Jerry Orbos, Fr. John O’Mahoney, Fr. Mercado, Alcober, Fr. Bel San Luis, Fr. Mario Bije, and Fr. Arlo Yap.
In one-year time the following were accomplished:
On January 2006, revisiting the 2005 resolution on the mandate given to the provincial with regards steps for the erection of the Shrine, a performance report had this to say, “Preliminary technical step has been taken toward the erection of CKMS as Shrine or Parish.” This was confirmed by another report from the finance sector in the same Performance Report: “Certain moves have already been done by the local community for the concretization of the CKMS chapel into a Shrine.”
After one year, on May 2006, Fr. Sabado turned over the administration of the proposed Shrine to Fr. Atilano Corcuera, the latter having been officially appointed by the Provincial to be the administrator of the chapel beginning in June 2006.
From June to Christmas of 2006, the following took place:
On December 25, 2006, the bishop Most Reverend Honesto F. Ongtioco, together with the SVD Provincial, the parish priest, the Rector of CKMS, the Rector of the proposed shrine and some other priests concelebrated in a Mass participated by the lay groups of the Shrine Family. Within the Mass the bishop officially declared CKMS chapel as Shrine of the Divine Word.