Rector and Parish Priest
69 San Pedro Bautista Street, San Francisco del Monte, Quezon City
Landline: (632) 7148-2136 Mobile: 09150332794
The Basilica Minore de San Pedro Bautista is the oldest church in Quezon City founded by San Pedro Bautista. When he was elected Custos or Superior of the Franciscans, he desired for a tranquil place where the missionaries could find respite physically and spiritually.
He found an area one hundred feet above sea level. It was thickly wooded, surrounded by a creek and with eight water springs. He fell in love with the place because it was so peaceful, so conducive to contemplation.
On February 17, 1590, Governor General Santiago de Vera donated the said area comprising of two hundred fifty hectares to the Franciscan Order. The construction of a little convent and chapel made of bamboo and nipa was started and was dedicated to Our Lady of Montecelli (Nuestra Señora de Porta Coeli in some accounts)
On November 12, 1932, the church was declared a parish through a decree issued by Archbishop Michael O’ Doherty of Manila. The parish was named in honor of its founder and patron, San Pedro Bautista.
In 1969, the plans for the expansion of the church were approved. Construction started in April 1969 with Arturo Mañalac as the architect. On January 30, 1971, the newly expanded church was dedicated by Bishop Artemio Casas, Auxiliary Bishop of Manila.
In February 25, 2001, the parish church was elevated to an Archdiocesan Shrine. The title given was Santuario de San Pedro Bautista through a decree signed by His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin, Archbishop of Manila.
On June 13, 2020, the church was declared as a Minor Basilica by Pope Francis, the seventeenth in the Philippin,es and the second in the Diocese of Cubao.